Friday, October 29, 2010

JET Vs. Aeon

I'm currently very tired of getting rejection letters for librarian positions, or worse not hearing anything. So I decided back in June that if I didn't have anything by the time JET and Aeon rolled around I would apply for them, since I really would like to go back to Japan and those seem like good ways to do so. Plus there are a lot of positions available on military bases around there for librarians, and I might try for one of those after a year there since some of them require that you be in the are and I might be at more of an advantage that way.
The thing I now have to decide is JET or Aeon. There are others around and I'm applying to both, but I'm not sure which one to really hope for more. They both have their pros and cons.
Aeon: work from 1-9, not a normal schedule, but more what I'm used to since I work evenings right now. Plus that way you have the option to stay up late or get up early. Pay is not quite as good as JET. May have to pay for more on health care, not quite sure on that. Have to try to sell materials to students, that part might be hard for me since I'm not good at retail. On the other hand it's not on commission or anything. They do subsidize apartments if they cost over a certain amount a month. You are also more likely to get your placement choice.
JET: You work for the government. They pay your flight over. Work day is 8:30 to 4 something. Pretty much the best pay of any ESL thing in Japan that I've seen. You go to schools and get to participate in more things. Students are in school versus adults in Aeon. Don't have to sell anything. Might get placed in the middle of nowhere, although I do want to get better at Japanese and that might be more helpful.
Probably at this point it's best to just do my applications and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment