Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fun Words for Scrabble

Words beginning with q, no u, are difficult so here are some of those.
Qat
Qi
qawwali and qoff are nice, but depend on how strict your interpretation of the rules is.
I also love the word Tmesis, mostly as a trap for non English majors. Yay! for double turns.
Scrabble was the one board game I always won at as a child. I'm also fond of shiritori which helped me remember random Japanese words, although I am losing tons of vocabulary due to disuse.
I heard recently that the new Edition of Scrabble is going to allow proper names, and frankly, no. It must be stopped. That would make it much, much too easy. No proper names and you choose one language and stick with it are the only rules in my house. (Well, and no playing newcomers or children for cash) Preferably a language both players know. Possibly this would be a good excuse/way to learn Esperanto. Anyways, much as I love scrabble I tend to get frustrated with digital versions, as they never accept perfectly legitimate words as being real. I have tried a whole variety of them and they all have this issue. I would quite like the Oxford English Dictionary to make a digital scrabble game, possibly as an iphone app. I'd be on that in a second. Just a thought OED people.  (P.S. to the OED people. I'm sorry I had to weed the 20 volume set from my library's collection, but we're merging reference and non-fiction and I don't have the space. We do still have the condensed though, and I am trying to convince them to get an online subscription...Maybe if you made that app they'd go for it? No pressure though :)


     (Isn't it odd how many different versions there are of this game considering what a simple concept it is.)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh I agree - no proper nouns please! I love, love, love playing scrabble and I do play a pretty kick ass game, if I may say so myself. Before I moved cities, some friends and I used to play a scrabble drinking game which certainly made things very interesting.

    ReplyDelete