Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ironically I've got hypergraphia

I love language and words. I started out as an English major, but I realized that while I love reading and to a certain extent writing, I was more interested in the processes behind them. And that's when I also fell in love with psychology. To be precise, psycholinguistics. Psychology courses tend to draw a variety of types of people, I met people who wanted to do pure research, people who wanted to be counsel, people who wanted to understand their own issues, and people who wanted to do profiling for the FBI among others. There is a certain stereotype of psych majors as all having major issues themselves, but that's no more true than any other stereotype, for example one of my friends was a girl in the theater department I met in a Shakespeare class. She was nice and calm and never wore even a little eyeliner.
Anyways. So while people in Psychology are not necessarily any more prone to issues than any other major we do tend to be prone to noticing traits in others and diagnosing them out of context. This is along similar lines as First Year Med Student Syndrome. Most people exhibit some traits of mental illness, as many things in this category are normal behavior patterns taken to extremes. People also tend to have coping mechanisms that they use in times of stress that can become dangerous to them, especially if they only have one response.
To use a personal example, I tend towards hypergraphia and hyperlexia.
The hypergraphia does not mean that things I write make sense, more that when presented with a blank piece of paper I tend to fill it. The margins of all my school papers are full of doodles (I'm terrible at drawing, but I persist), repetitions of alphabets including mirror writing and left handed practice (this was slightly helpful when I started learning Japanese), bits of music (I never do get the treble clef right though), and random things I've remembered like poems or lines in plays. So, I'm not actually writing lots of things that are useful for blog posts, and typing holds less interest for me either way. I inherited this one from my mom who likes to do alphabets while talking on the phone, and trace letters on things with calligraphy. Mostly it was not a problem, although some teachers got angry about the mess this made of my papers. I learned to bring in extra papers to write on in those classes.
The hyperlexia was more of an issue. Parents tend to wish their kids read more. Mine took away my books when I got in trouble, and usually what I got into trouble for was reading when I should have been doing something else. Another thing that usually goes with hyperlexia is speech issues. I have always talked too fast and not quite clearly enough, but my brother and sister ended up with more problems in that arena than me and had to go to speech, I had to wait for them often, and I distinctly remember wishing I could be in with them since they got candy while I got stuck in the waiting room reading outdated Highlights for children (I still despise that magazine and can only assume I had my books taken as a punishment when I was driven to read it).
The Midnight Disease: The Drive to Write, Writer's Block, and the Creative Brain

My issues are almost entirely of the innate, that's just how my brain works, type rather than the trauma type. They also tend to be rather scarily along the line of autism spectrum disorders. ( This does, however, reinforce that point almost all of my psych teachers brought up at some time, that all symptoms and disorders are a matter of degree. For example, while both of these have impacted me, they never got so bad that they interfered with being able to live my life and interact with other people.  There is a really good book on hypergraphia I read once called The Midnight Disease which is by a Neuropsychiatrist who was actually institutionalized when her hypergraphia got really severe.
Most people have a tendency to something, and under severe enough stress (which can also vary greatly by individual) often fall back on that behavior as a comfort. So while psychology students may be overprompt with a diagnosis, it can partly be considered as what path a person might be most likely to go down given enough pressure. Rather like it can be predicted that coal under enough pressure becomes diamonds, although admittedly without that level of accuracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment